Battle Bots: Design & Drive with Custom Armor
Calling all aspiring hands-on engineers who want to jump in and get their hands dirty building robots and compete in the arena!
Campers learn how to assemble and wire a beginner battle bot, drive their bot so they can compete in the arena, and prototype new designs for their next generation battle bot using 3D design and 3D printing applications.
This camp is great for kids who
- Love robots, but aren’t interested in coding (yet!)
- Enjoy driving and competing with remote-controlled vehicles
- Love watching robot battle competition videos
- Have experience 3D printing and want to a new exciting way to use those skills
Come Have Fun and Learn To
- Assemble a robot using a prefabricated kit
- Drive your remote-controlled robot
- Use Tinkercad software to design unique armor to be 3D printed with Cura
- Prototype different designs and armors to make your robot more competitive in the arena
The Best STEM Camp for Your Child
- Voted a #1 Best STEM Program eight years running by thousands of local parents like you, and trusted by more than 100 education partners including elite private schools and large diverse public schools to run STEM programs for their students
- More convenient, safe, kid-appropriate locations Make new friends with kids who share your child’s passion for STEM and live near you
- Fun learning that builds lifelong passion
- Year-round, local, STEM programs in MA
- Flexible refunds and changes to adapt to your evolving schedule
- Exceptional Empow-trained staff are passionate about STEM and adept at building mentor relationships
- Personalized learning in each small class
Related Camps to Consider
Uncompromising Quality Without Extravagant Prices
We all want the best for our kids. Empow’s year-round programs, partnerships with more than 100 educational institutions, and a tight focus on elementary and middle schoolers, allow us to provide you with the highest quality STEM summer camp without the extravagant prices charges by many summer-only STEM camps.
- Year-round instructional staff offer exceptional quality without costly high turnover typical at summer-only STEM camps
- More than 100 education partners in New England mean we earn our exceptional local reputation without exorbitant national marketing (and we pass those saving on to you)
- Private schools and our own year-round studios offer more convenient, safer, and more kid-friendly camp locations (that cost us and you less)
- Local owners on a mission to provide exceptional quality STEM education
“We found EMPOW to be the best learning and fun for our little one, at agreeable prices for the value they provide” —Tara, Lexington Summer Camp Parent, 2022
Answers to Common Questions about this Camp
How does this camp fit into my child’s education and development?
Robots are a great entry point for a wide variety of engineering disciplines and practical skills. Competing in the arena, kids experience the core of engineering – designing something you think will work, testing it, and continuously revising it until you get the desired results. Tinkercad, the software campers use to design custom armor, is a child-friendly version of professional computer-aided-design software and inspires many campers to pursue engineering. Campers who get hooked on robots can pursue their passion by learning to program or by continuing to explore robotic fabrication and battle bot competitions.
What camp will this prepare my child to take next?
- Jump into coding robots with the language professionals use with Python 101
- Dive deeper into 3D design with STEM Expedition using Tinkercad, Cura, and Sweet Home
What is an Empow STEM camp day like?
Most days have four periods focused intently on student learning and project creation. Whether they’re coding, designing video games, or sculpting in virtual 3D clay, we believe creativity is essential and is built into the DNA of our program design. We foster collaboration because it’s an essential learning skill and because it increases STEM learning and because making friends with kids with shared STEM interests builds lifelong learning and because it is an awesome part of camp! Outside activities, lunch and breaks provide the balanced no-screen time campers need to thrive and come home composed for the evening. At week’s end, our rock star campers show off their ambitious projects to family and friends.
What are the camp’s hours‚ early drop-off options‚ and other available options?
- Regular day: Empow STEM camps run from 9am-4pm.
- Free early drop-off: Available starting at 8:45am.
- Earlier drop-off with Semi-Private lessons: If you need earlier drop-off or if your child would benefit from even more individual attention, sign up for semi-private lessons at $35/day, available Tuesday-Friday. Availability is limited so act soon. Book as an option during checkout.
- Pre-Camp Jump Start with Two 60-Minute Private Lessons: Get your child ready to get the most out of their camp experience! Whether your child will feel more comfortable starting camp after some individual attention, or wants to get a jump start on learning, our amazing instructors are here to help. Lessons are available online or on campus for select locations. Scheduling is flexible through mid-June with highly limited availability thereafter. Get your summer started early! $119, 40% off our regular private lessons rate! Book as an option during checkout.
How is Empow STEM camp different from other similar programs?
Empow’s STEM camps are uniquely able to meet the needs of children and young teens and their families.
- Better Instructors for Children & Young Teens. Our instructors are exceptional at working with this age cohort, nurturing their budding passion for STEM, providing compelling tech-savvy role models, developing the social and emotional skills essential for kids and STEM-learning, and making camp fun! Like some programs, many of our instructors are recruited from top colleges, pass rigorous background checks, and are trained extensively. Unlike many programs, because we offer year-round STEM programs, many of our instructors work with us year-round, making them exceptionally capable.
- Exclusively focused on the unique needs of Children & Young Teens. Elementary and middle school students should not be stressing about preparing for college applications or padding their resumes; camps with that focus are clearly designed for older students. Neither should they just be playing video games all day, as many so-called STEM camps have kids do. Rather, Empow camps meet age-appropriate learning and developmental goals: Exposure to STEM in a fun and supportive environment; Foundations for lifelong STEM learning which begin with making campers excited to keep learning more; Self-esteem and self-confidence from by overcoming obstacles, completing ambitious projects, and presenting them to family and peers; Friendships with like-minded local students that embrace their interests and personality; Social and emotional development which has been proven to advance STEM learning at this age in particular; Opportunity to accelerate into high-school level curriculum once they find STEM topics that ignite their passion; and Fun because great things happen when kids love to learn.
- More Convenient, Safer, More Kid-Friendly Locations. Empow offers more camps, in more locations, to make life easier for busy parents. Whether at elite private schools like Milton and Winsor, or at our own year-round studios, our camps run on safe, kid-oriented campuses.
- Year-round Local Programs. If your child finds their passion with STEM, Empow is there as your partner to continue the learning. Unlike STEM camps that are here only a few weeks each summer, we offer programs year-round with local in-person Afterschool Classes, Private Lessons, and camps during school vacation and holidays.
- Lower prices. The best does not have to cost the most. Empow has won more awards for excellence, and is trusted by more local education partners, and still saves you 30% or more compared to some of the big national, summer-only STEM camps.
Rave Reviews From Parents Like You …
My son has a learning disability and often balks at new experiences, but he literally ran into camp every morning, and was bright eyed and proud of his accomplishments at the end of each day! Your team was outstanding at understanding and adjusting to his learning differences.
I had two boys at your camp. One focused on robotics and the other on music. They both had great fun and learned too!
My son does a various summer camps and this one is always his favorite! He was really happy with his project and was able to learn new programs. Eric is a fantastic camp director: he is really patient, understanding and has a genuine interest in connecting with and supporting the kids. Thanks!
My son, James, attended four camps this summer - a general one, two sports camps, and your STEM camp. Yours was his favorite! His second morning he announced that he'd been wishing all night for it to hurry up and be time to go back to your camp. Thank you so much for feeding my budding scientist's creativity!
My child had a phenomenal experience! He RAN intro camp everyday and did not stop talking about it for the entire night upon his return home. We were so pleased to find a program where the instructors were fun, engaging and supportive, and where each child was able to work at his own level and to really be challenged. I can't believe how much got accomplished in one week!
My son LOVED your camp. He was almost speechless the first day he came home -- he finally just breathed, "It was AWESOME." He was very excited by the choice of projects and really proud of the one he completed.
Our son had a blast at Empow's week-long Minecraft camp, where he learned new and more advanced ways of playing the game, including command blocks, redstone circuits, and more. We're sending him back this summer!
We Are Delighted to Announce That Empow Studios Has Been Chosen as a Family Favorite for the Seventh Consecutive Year!
Favorite STEM Summer Camps
Favorite Academic Summer Camps
Favorite School Vacation Camps
Favorite Computer Science and Coding Classes
Favorite Science & Technology Programs
Favorite Tutoring or Educational Support Programs
Favorite Family Summer Camps
Favorite Kids Party
Find a Convenient Date & Location
Filter by Grade*
Filter by Location
- Newton Upper Falls
Filter by Date
- June 26 - 30
- July 03 - 07
- July 10 - 14
- July 17 - 21
- July 24 - 28
- July 31 - August 04
- August 07 - 11
- August 14 - 18
- August 21 - 25
- August 28 - Sept 01
Location & Camp
Battle Bots: Design & Drive with Custom Armor
Newton Upper Falls
Battle Bots: Design & Drive with Custom Armor
Still have questions…
Need help choosing the perfect camps and other STEM programs? Our advisors make personalized recommendations based on your child’s interests, your learning goals, and your family’s schedule
... Or need more time to make a decision?
Risk-Free Enrollment. Empow offers free schedule changes until 14 days before camp begins and easy refunds up until 30 days before camp begins so there’s little risk in enrolling today.* But sometimes you just want more time to decide. Sign up for emails with special promotions and more info about what makes Empow the most trusted STEM program provider in Massachusetts.
*Unlimited no-cost changes up to 14 days before your camp begins. Full refunds up to 30 days before camp begins less $10 processing fee. Additional terms and conditions apply.
When offered in Massachusetts, per Massachusetts state law, “This camp must comply with regulations of the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and be licensed by the local Board of Health. Parents may request copies of background check, health care and discipline policies as well as procedures for filing grievances.” (105 CMR 430.00, 430.190 C, D)